*This post was updated 11/17/2021
This year we’re all looking forward to Thanksgiving getting ‘back to normal’ this year with extended family gatherings. There is, of course, one constant; turkeys are going to be in high demand. Over 45 million turkeys are consumed each year during the Thanksgiving holiday season. This means, we as a nation, collectively chow down on about 730 million pounds of delicious turkey every Thanksgiving. A truly mind-boggling amount!
Now, we all know everyone will be eating turkey, but what about the truly fundamental and critical question posed each Thanksgiving, should we serve brussels sprouts? I am sure most of you can hear your kids screaming, NO WAY, but amazingly Americans have a love-hate relationship with this round, green cruciferous vegetable and consume $4.3 million worth each holiday.
So how do we go about making this critical choice and potentially avoid family strife? We could send out a survey to all our attendees, listen to our kids, OR we could use a predictive analytics software like Squark! Below outlines a step-by-step view of how you would find the answer to the vexing question and how easy it really is!
Let’s use a dataset (see appendix 1) provided by fivethirtyeight.com to find out the answer to this vexing question in less time than it takes you to clear your first plate of food.
1. First, let’s grab the data using our intuitive Google Sheets intelligent connector:
2. Once we have the data, Squark will perform an initial analysis. Once completed, let’s tell the system which column contains the historical data that answers our question of “do you serve brussels sprouts?” so our system can learn:
3. Select which columns you would like to include (hint: throw them all in at first and make choices later once the machine has had a chance to explain to you what is most important to the prediction you are making):
4. Now grab a file from your computer with all of your relatives’ names, along with their associated data, to match what we are training on to determine who loves brussels sprouts but would never admit it:
5. Let the machine figure out not only who is going to be sneaking some brussels sprouts in the corner.
I always suspected cousin Kate!
But we can go deeper and discover what traits or attributes are most likely to identify a true brussels lover. Additional explainability reports are available in Squark’s ‘Show Model Details’ section on the Results Page.
This is just a snippet of the attributes we examined, but we can see the region someone is from and the desserts they go for have the strongest correlation with this green veggie. Predictive analytics is this simple.
Amazing, another mystery solved in just minutes. All with the information you have right at your fingertips. No code required. Even better, out of the same data you just utilized, you could even find who is likely to steal the last slice of pecan pie!
Now imagine what you could do by applying the same capability to any range of marketing related questions you would like to answer. All within minutes, with the data you look at every day. Reach out at any time and let us show you how predictive analytics can maximize your efforts to increase conversions, revenue, customer retention, and so much more!
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
Squark is a no-code predictive analytics SaaS that automatically analyzes business data you work with every day to predict customer outcomes, uncover new and unforeseen business opportunities, and mitigate risk. It is a simple and easy-to-use AI software that doesn’t require data science nor technical expertise. In a matter of clicks, make confident, data-backed decisions about what your customers will do next and understand why to increase your business impact.